BBQ Joe’s Vietnam
Ham & Pineapple
BBQ Joe’s Notes …
- Also known as a gammon steak, ham on the BBQ is very nice with pineapple. It’s a very fast and delicious meal to prepare. The sweet flavor of the cooked pineapple goes very well with the salty ham and it has a bit of a smoky flavor from the BBQ.
- Ask your butcher to give you whole slices of 1 cm thick of cured ham.
- Slice up the pineapple into ½ cm slices; I prefer the whole circle.
- Be sure to season the grill with vegetable oil and bring the grill to high heat. This will allow for the nice grill marks on the ham and pineapple. Be generous with the oil because you don’t want the ham to stick to the grill.
- Put the pineapple on the grill first on direct medium-high heat. The pineapple will take about double the time of the ham. Turn the pineapple after about 5 minutes or once you have nice brown grill marks on one side.
- After turning the pineapple, put the ham on the grill. Turn after 3 to 4 minutes. Cooks quickly so be careful not to dry out the ham. You are really just trying to warm up the ham and add smoke flavor from the BBQ.
- Pull from the grill and serve hot.
|Put the pineaple on the grill first on direct medium-high heat.|
|If you cook with corn, the corn goes on first as this will take the longest to cook.|